Not sure why I’ve been putting it off but I finally added a custom domain for this site, which is hosted by Github Pages. Once I settled on ‘nagraj.net’ I started looking for domain services. Google Domains had the name available at a reasonable price, and I found really good documentation that spells out exactly how to configure a Github Pages site to use a domain purchased via Google Domains.
If and when I have to buy, register and configure a custom domain name for a Github Pages site again, I’ll probably refer to the really good documentation that spells out exactly how to configure a Github Pages site to use a domain purchased via Google Domains … and I’ll know ahead of time that the process is fairly simple:
- Buy the domain (Google Domains)
- Create the Github Pages site (Github)
- Add a CNAME file with the custom domain to the site directory root (Github)
- Register the IP addresses for Github (Google Domains)
- Register the CNAME for the site repo (Google Domains)
- Wait for the DNS magic to happen (Wherever The DNS Magic Happens)